Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Memoirs

When Broken Glass Floats by Chanrithy Him, Us and them by David Sedaris, and Mick Jagger Wants Me by Susan Jane Gilman, these are the names and authors of the three memoirs I've recently read. Each one was unique and each of them held my attention throughout the entire story. I found the first story by Him to be the most profound something about the intense emotion behind the memoir really had me drawn to the text. A four year old girl finds herself and her family are caught amidst a confrontation during the Vietnam War in Cambodia. She cannot understand why her and her family have been drawn into the conflict. Him wonders about the war and whether or not is would ever stop. Thoughts such as these and the way she reacted to the chaos speaks volumes about the girls courage and intelligence. You put someone like me in a situation like that and I can almost guarantee I would not have had as clear a mind as this four year old girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment