Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Sketches

When I entered high school I noticed a much larger diversity between the different groups of students. Whether it be the clothes they wore, the music they listened to, or their attitudes in general. There were jocks, preps, goths, emos, nerds, geeks and other personalities typical of most high school atmospheres. I remember walking out onto Cumberland County High School's friendship garden and it being packed with kids decked out in all black clothing, blasting screamo music from a boombox. They seemed cool, at least to each other, so I decided I would try to fit in with these individuals. I bought "punk rock" clothing and spiked my hair and the next day I walked out into the garden and started a conversation with some kids playing hackysack. I hang around with these people for the next two years listening to their music and going to their parties, neither of which I found too appealing but I continued to do so cause I thought it made me cool. My junior year I was so worried about school and work that I started using them as excuses to pass up on invitations to hang out with a lot of my friends. I decided that it was too hassle work trying to be something I really wasn't comfortable being or doing things that I really didn't like. After that I joined the TSA because I had always found electronics to be fascinating and started doing the things I liked to do. I made new pals but this time they liked the same things I did and after that things seemed to be a little easier.

Video games have always been a large part of my free time. Especially a game called Halo. I can remember the first time I seen the game being played. It blew my mind how much detail they put into the game. Not graphically but you could tell they thought outside the box when they dreamed up this story. Many of the friends I have today are because of this game, whether it be for playing with them or plain talking about it. It showed me that I had a lot in common with many other people. Video games seem to be a big part of peoples lives whether they play them or have to listen to other people talk about them. It also seems that the majority of people have some sort of game console in their household, such as an xbox or ps3 or a computer. I believe that video games have brought many people together and allowed them to relate to each other in a whole new way.

1 comment:

  1. well you left me a comment and so i just thought i leave you one so here it is enjoy... but seriously i would like here more about this punk world from which you come from

    ReplyDelete